Saturday 22 October 2011

Insect, reptile and bird

A beautiful day and on a wander through the garden notice a moth with large antennae on the underside of a branch on a grevillea and I took a couple of shots and then  moved the branch to try and get a better angle but no luck it was off. my attempt at identification from the Butterfly House website would seem to place it in the Noctuoidea with two possible species either Epicoma contristis (my best guess) or the similar Epicoma tristis.

 
Later in the morning I heard a slithering as I was walking past a shrub and looked up to see a Common Green Tree Snake that was startled by my presence but was now looking me very closely to see if I was any sort of threat.


A harmless diurnal species the Common Tree Snake Dendrelaphis punctulatus is found in coastal regions of northern and eastern Australia. Being arboreal and hunting frogs, insects, small birds and mammals it relies substantially on its good binocular eyesight to give it accurate striking distance perception.
A bird nearby where I was working in the garden was in full song with lots of melodious whistling, chattering and being a bit of a mimic of other species. A distant glimpse suggested it was a Spectacled Flycatcher that I had been trying to get a good photo, but it was not going to come close enough. Then a chance would have it whilst we we having coffee on the verandah, I heard the same songs from the tree directly in front, but again couldn't get a good sight of the bird. It then flew to the next tree and sat on a clump of mistletoe long enough for me to get one quick photo.


I could see that it was not a Spectacled flycatcher but on checking identification found it to be a Black-faced Flycatcher Monarcha melanopsis that range right down the east coast of Australia and my first sighting of this species on our property so very pleased.

2 comments:

  1. Your spring pics are most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bruce, it is always something special when I see what nature has to offer each day.

    ReplyDelete