Friday 12 January 2018

Look at me

Camouflage is not part of this caterpillar's defense, rather if you've got it flaunt it. 


I couldn't help seeing this one as I was doing some tidying up around our banana plants that have a bit of a tangle of Slender Grape Cayratia clematidea vines around them.
This plant seems to be an attractive food plant for a number of moth species (previously posted) but this was a first for me and again tracking the id took some time as the photos I referenced were  not as dramatic in colouring. The colour and patterning  does change quite a bit as the caterpillar develops. The moth (which I haven't seen) is the Impatiens Hawk Moth Theretra oldenlandiae  and as the common name suggests Impatiens are subject to attack as well as Fuchsias so not particularly in favour with gardeners.
The are found throughout most of SE Asia from India to all states of Australia. 
(photo taken with phone and the caterpillar had disappeared by the time I got the camera)

No comments:

Post a Comment