Friday 3 July 2020

Moth rescue

Working on the pool this morning and noticed a moth floating and when I scooped out it was quite fine and not needing resuscitation.
It looked like a new species for me to add to the list of visitors to the property.Got the camera and took a couple of photos.

.
 It was resting on my camera strap which is 20mm wide, so it is a reasonable size moth and the very distinctive markings I thought would make identification reasonably easy. From the shape and size I thought it would be found in the Catocaline family and it didn't take long to ID it there as Dysgonia solomonensis (also known as Bastilla s)..

This species is found in Queensland and NSW as well as New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
In Australia the caterpillar has been seen feeding on a native plant Breynia oblongifolia and we have quite a few growing around the property.
 
.

2 comments:

  1. Good news the moth was ok. Its a very attractive species :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I am late in replying but very pleased to have your comment and continued interest in my blog.
      Hope all going well and keeping safe.

      Delete