Wednesday 16 November 2011

Diaphanous Wings

Yesterday I got a photo of this damselfly with wings that were almost invisible,  (species?) sunning itself on an nicely coloured rock
.

Today I noticed a newly emerged cicada  (one of the over 200 species that are to be found in Oz) whose wings were still not fully dry. It was a species I had not seen before and I was struck by the beautiful colouring of both it's body and the diaphanous wings.

It was not a very large cicada only about 5cm long. nose to end of wings and I haven't been able to find an identification as yet. 
Summer is certainly just around the corner when we start hearing cicadas and at present their calling is supplemented by one of their hunters the Cicada Bird which mimics them to attract them to its tree which is much easier than chasing after them. So far I haven't been able to get a decent photo as they are generally high in the treetops.

No comments:

Post a Comment