Thursday 17 November 2011

Flying tiger on the fence

Showery weather had me working indoors, but did manage to get out during a break and noticed a moth that at time we see in large numbers. We are so used to seeing them that they get overlooked as we search for the more unusual. However today I thought this one was in need of a closer look, particularly as the mesh fence provided a contrast in form and a convenient measure.


It is a day flying moth,  Amata nigriceps of the sub family CTENUCHINAE which has some 53 species, commonly called Tigers or Wasp Moths. Many of the moths are very similar in appearance and I had some difficulty, but I think I have the correct one, but if not will be pleased to be corrected.
You can judge its wing span from the 1cm mesh. Their flight is a slow flutter and with their colouring they are hard to miss and it is also a warning to predators they they are not something that should be eaten, as you are likely to be poisoned.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful moth Ian - really lovely colourful markings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased with the photo as it does show this very common moth should not be overlooked.
    We are inundated with moths at present and I haven't been able to keep up with the photos or the identification. However will keep trying to get as many as I can up on the blog.

    ReplyDelete