Sunday 22 July 2012

A bevy with two tails one head

Lately we have seen a bevy of Brown Quails Synoicus australis around the grassy areas near the house, but they are quite wary and I haven't been able to get near enough to get a photo. Today I saw the birds emerge from under the garden shrubs and start across the grass, stopping to feed on seeds as they went. Fortunately I was in a position to get close enough to get a quick shot before they moved off.
There were eight in bevy or covey, which ever you prefer for a group of Quails and as they were moving around in the undergrowth they were whistling twittering to keep in touch.
When I have come across them in long grass they usually give me a start, as they suddenly explode out of the grass when you are almost on top of them.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work to photograph them like that.
    Very natural.
    Rare chance.
    Nice fat ones, too.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete