Thursday 28 July 2011

Colour uncovered

Last night two moths drawn to the light of the kitchen window enabled me to bring them inside for a photo shoot. The first was a beige colour with a black stripe across the wings but when I placed it on the kitchen bench it displayed the previously hidden colour of the hind wings.
T
Checking the identification proved not too difficult as the colours and markings make it hard to confuse, so it is a male Gastrophora hendricaria  Guenee  and is found throughout SE Australia.
The second moth as yet remains unidentified but the prominent white spots on the wings I hope will give me the key.

2 comments:

  1. The first moth is beautiful and I love the colour and markings on the hindwings Ian. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased when the moth spread the wings and I saw the beautiful colur and markings. Have posted another today but couldn't get a shot with the wings sread to get the full colour and markings.

    ReplyDelete