Monday 12 September 2011

Green moth and green orchid

A green moth on the kitchen window was co-operative for a photo and I think I have identified it as one of the Geometrdae family, an Emerald moth Anisozyga metaspila, although there are quite a few Emeralds so I am happy to be corrected.
The wet year we have had has certainly been enjoyed by the native orchids as they are more numerous than I have seen them in years. I have been watching the development the Slender Onion Orchids Microtis parviflora, that are sending up flower spikes with their single onion like leaf, through the grass areas and flower gardens.
The flower spike is up to about 40cm tall with masses of tiny flowers about 3mm in size. This orchid is found in all Australian States apart from WA.

No comments:

Post a Comment