Saturday 11 April 2020

Dainty or Dingy

Lots of butterflies still around and today managed to get a photo of one that I see at times but it is not as common as its relative, the Orchard Butterfly.


Looking up references for this species I found two common names one seems appropriate, "Dainty Swallowtail"  and I couldn't work out how the other fitted "Little Dingy Swallowtail" given the beautiful colours and markings. It is a member of the PAPILIONIDAE family species named  Papilio anactus and it is found throughout Australia where the caterpillars feed on native citrus, finger limes, desert limes, wild orange as well as cultivated citrus.
Like their large relative they are not a problem in the orchard other than on young plants but I just move them to a larger tree.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful butterfly - such lovely colours. "Dainty Swallowtail" seems to fit it better :) Stay safe and well Ian during these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline, it is a beauty and I was pleased to get the photo and since I took this one I have seen quite a number of them and i seems an unusual year as There are also more glasswings around than I have seen before.
    With the difficulties we are dealing with the garden and the critters are a joy.

    ReplyDelete